Saturday, September 8, 2012

Venice, the first week

This Thursday just gone marked two weeks since I've been in Venice. I began working at the Biennale on August 26th, so for the first three days we lost ourselves in the city. I mainly consumed a lot of pizza and gelato, people watched and gained more freckles. Italian women dress effortlessly for summer. I'm constantly gawking in awe at the colours, cuts and drapes I see on a daily basis on my walk to work.

Below is an assortment of shots from my early explorations of this unique cityscape.


Basilica Di Sanmarco


Basilica Di Sanmarco, and accompanying crowds of tourists


Typical Venetian buildings


Part of the Doge's Palace (Italian: Palazzo Ducale), built in Venetian Gothic style


San Giorgio Maggiore (taken from in front of the Doge's Palace)


View from the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, onto the Grand Canal


Peggy's grave, where she is buried beside her beloved dogs


Sunset over the Southern Lagoon


A quiet street gives some respite from the constant stream of tourists


Gardens in the city, for hiding in the shade


My first bellini, at Caffe' Margaret Duchamp in Campo Santa Margherita, perfect spot for people watching


I'll post soon about the job itself and what Venice Takeaway is about. We Stewards have a tumblr blog that we kept up to date with the daily and weekly goings on.

9 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful photos!! You look stunning! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Maeve, I hope my camerawork is improving!

      Delete
  2. I love Venice, I'm dying to go back. That Bellini looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was walking through the city tonight and it just hit me that i really do love parts of it, especially now the students are back at uni, there's more of a buzz about the place!

      Delete
  3. I am glad everything is going so well! I can't stop looking at your pictures and thinking of how beautiful you looked. I think you were made for Venice :)

    I'm anxious to see more!! I didn't realize how much I missed the city until I caught myself looking through your photos on Facebook for the 20th time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alyssa! I'm hoping to post a more light hearted post on some more of my Venice adventures this weekend! x

      Delete
  4. Beautiful place. I was only there for 5 days but I'm desperate to go back. It's the only place I've been on holiday to that I have actually felt homesick for when I've got back home. Might have to wait a couple of years though - I've kind of planned all my holidays for next year already.....!

    ReplyDelete