Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Postcards and prints


One of my weaknesses is postcards. I can't afford the art, but I can have a keepsake. Here are some of the many postcards I purchased in London and kept for myself (the rest making their individual journeys to Dubai, England, Scotland and Ireland).







The Wallace Collection
L-R:
1. Boucher, The Setting of the Sun, 1752
2. Fragonard, The Swing, 1767
3. Reynolds, Mrs. Elizabeth Carnac, 1885
4. Boucher, Madame de Pompadour, 1759


National Portrait Gallery
John Donne, Vivien Leigh, Helena Bonham Carter


Leighton House, Holland Park
Postcard of a decorative tile from Damascus, seen in the entrance hall of Frederic Lord Leighton's house.


National Gallery, London
Delaroche, The Execution of Lady Jane Grey, 1833 & Gainsborough, Mrs. Siddons, 1785


National Portrait Gallery
Vivien Leigh (1913-1967) print, taken by Alexander Bassano (April 1935), presented 1974 by Bassano to NPG

I can't wait to frame this and to have a home in which to display it. This photo also graces the walls of The Savoy, London.

What do you do with your postcards? How do you store them? One of my friends writes what they know about the painting on the back, along with the visiting date and then stores it. I've left it too late to start doing that I fear! But looking over my postcards I know where and when I bought it and whom I was with (for the most part).

I'm always interested in international postcard swaps with other bloggers if anyone wants to partake with me!

4 comments:

  1. Haha this is so appropriate, as I just popped yours in the post. I snuck some Wuthering Heights ones in there for you, I heard you are a fan ;)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like very old postcards. it's like travelling in time. don't allow you to take the places you visit for granted. i am always late for the parties i have not been invited to.

    i think your place is cozy.

    i'm in Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting thing to collect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I would see an old postcard, old movies flashes back to my mind.

    printing company NY

    ReplyDelete